BMW & MINI Show Off Early Electric Prototypes at the Petersen Automotive Museum

DimON

BMW and MINI’s rich history of early EVs is being shown off for the first time in the US at an exhibit Titled “Alternating Currents: The Fall and Rise of Electric Vehicles.” Held at the Peterson Automotive Museum in LA, the exhibit traces the development of electric vehicles (EVs) from the late 1800s to modern times and features key BMW and MINI products. .

The Original MINI E is Back

The 2009 MINI E marked a significant step in BMW Group’s efforts toward electric mobility, arriving after nearly two decades of advancements in electric motor and battery technology. As part of a field trial, 450 MINI E vehicles were made available to select customers in California, New York, and New Jersey, with an additional 50 cars tested in Europe. Participants were chosen based on their driving habits, home suitability for a charging system, and their willingness to provide ongoing feedback to BMW.

MINI_E_R56_98_copy.jpg?resize=798%2C532&

The MINI E retained the agility and handling of the standard MINI Cooper but featured a 204-horsepower electric motor powered by a 35 kWh lithium-ion battery, offering about 150 miles of range. To accommodate the battery, the MINI E was designed as a two-seater, and its electric powertrain delivered quiet, emissions-free performance. The car’s powertrain was a collaboration between BMW Group and AC Propulsion Systems in California.

MINI_E_R56_91_copy.jpg?resize=798%2C532&

With its strong acceleration and top speed limited to 95 mph, the MINI E combined electric efficiency with the driving experience expected of a MINI. The insights gained from the trial were critical to BMW’s Project i, which aimed to develop a practical electric vehicle for urban environments, eventually leading to the production of the BMW i3 in 2013.

Following the trial, most MINI E vehicles were returned and recycled, though a few examples remain. Many participants, known as “electronauts,” went on to join subsequent field trials, including the BMW Active E program, and became early adopters of the i3.

The BMW E2 Concept

he BMW E2 Electric Vehicle Concept is making its first return to California since its debut in 1991. Designed in the early 1990s, both the BMW E1 and E2 concepts were notable for their innovation, while maintaining a mainstream appearance that reflected BMW’s early ambitions in electric vehicle development. The E1, designed in Germany by BMW Technik GmbH, was powered by a 45-horsepower brushless DC motor mounted at the rear axle, utilizing sodium-sulfur battery technology. Two functional E1 prototypes were created to test early electric mobility technologies.

The E2, a larger follow-up to the E1, was designed by California-based Designworks/USA (now fully part of BMW AG) and unveiled at the 1991 Los Angeles International Auto Show. Chuck Pelly, founder and president of Designworks/USA at the time, explained that the goal was to give the E2 a more commanding presence, with wider wheel flares and an extended outboard tire position. The design incorporated a more robust hood and bumper system, resulting in a vehicle that was longer, wider, and lower than its predecessor, with a smoother and more conventional BMW design.

BMW_e2_87_copy.jpg?resize=798%2C532&ssl=

Inside, the E2 offered seating for four, with storage space behind the rear seat. The dashboard featured integrated driver and passenger airbags, along with a speedometer, range indicator, and clock. Forward/reverse controls and an electric handbrake were also included.

Despite their innovative approach, both the E1 and E2 projects were shelved by the mid-1990s. Nevertheless, these vehicles remain as early explorations of how BMW’s core driving philosophy could intersect with electric mobility.

The BMW I3

The BMW i3, introduced in 2013, marked a significant step in BMW’s development of electric vehicles. It was the first mass-produced car to feature a Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic (CFRP) passenger cell, designed to make the vehicle both light and strong. This lightweight construction helped improve efficiency and performance while reducing the size of the battery needed for a reasonable driving range. The i3 was developed under BMW’s new “i” sub-brand, with a focus on sustainability and electric mobility.

BMW_I3_.jpg?resize=798%2C532&ssl=1

Unlike earlier electric models like the MINI E, which adapted existing designs to electric power, the i3 was built from the ground up as an electric car. This gave the engineers more flexibility in optimizing the vehicle for electric drive. Central to the i3’s design was its “LifeDrive” architecture, which consisted of two parts: the passenger cabin (Life Module) made of CFRP, and the aluminum-based Drive Module, housing the battery, motor, and structural components. This separation allowed for a roomier interior while keeping the vehicle’s footprint compact, similar to a BMW 1 Series but with the space of a 3 Series.

The lightweight CFRP construction also allowed the car to be more agile, with a low center of gravity that improved driving dynamics. The absence of a traditional transmission tunnel gave the i3 additional interior space and a flat floor. On display models, BMW often deconstructed the i3 to highlight its innovative materials and architecture.

BMW_i3_0642_BMW_i3_-i3-120-ah-an.jpg?res

The i3 represented an early effort by BMW to make electric vehicles viable for urban mobility, a mission that was advanced by the lessons learned from previous electric models like the MINI E. Its design and architecture laid the groundwork for future electric models under the BMW i sub-brand, illustrating the company’s approach to combining sustainability with the driving experience.

The BMW Vision EfficientDynamics

The BMW Vision EfficientDynamics, first unveiled at the 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show, was designed to demonstrate how efficiency, performance, and advanced technology could coexist in a sleek, modern vehicle. With a top speed capped at 155 mph and acceleration to 62 mph in 4.8 seconds, it offered a compelling blend of speed and fuel economy, with consumption estimated at 62.6 mpg.

The powertrain combined a 3-cylinder turbo-diesel engine with electric motors on each axle. This setup, along with precise energy management, optimized both the car’s performance and efficiency. The total system output was 356 horsepower, with a peak torque of 590 lb-ft. The combination of diesel and electric motors enabled all-wheel drive in electric mode, ensuring smooth power delivery and minimal energy loss.

BMW_e2_82_copy.jpg?resize=798%2C532&ssl=

In terms of design, the Vision EfficientDynamics departed from conventional low-emission concepts. Its form followed a functional approach, with every detail serving to improve efficiency. Measuring 48.8 inches in height, the car’s low, aerodynamic shape evoked the look of a classic GT. Active louvers in front of the radiator reduced drag when cooling wasn’t required. Design elements inspired by BMW’s motorsport experience, such as ducts in the A-pillars and rear lights, helped channel airflow to enhance stability and reduce fuel consumption. The car’s flat underbody and strategic air deflectors contributed to a low drag coefficient of 0.22.

BMWe2_i8.jpg?resize=798%2C532&ssl=1

Other features included large wheel covers designed to minimize aerodynamic drag, while a “curtain” of air over the front wheels further stabilized the car at high speeds. All these details contributed to the vehicle’s efficient performance and distinctive design.

The Vision EfficientDynamics concept generated enough interest on the auto show circuit that BMW pursued production plans. This ultimately led to the 2014 BMW i8, which brought much of the concept’s technology and design to the road in a production vehicle.

The post BMW & MINI Show Off Early Electric Prototypes at the Petersen Automotive Museum appeared first on MotoringFile.

View the full article